Sunday, October 28, 2007
Saturday, October 20, 2007
Top 5 Picks (Oxfam)
1. John Hegley (St. Georges Day) why? just good...*trumpets, too
2. Annie Freud (Canaletto Orange) why? seductive and wise *a voice
3. Daljit Nagra (Darling and Me) why? just like a slightly mad indian uncle *Al Purdy with a sense of glee
4. Heather Tayor (Trouble) why? captures that point (and age) just before girls tire of the rogue *Joni Mitchell who don't smoke
5. Carol Anny Duffy (Prayer) why? Just good...*old lady voice is seductive to me
There's 61 or so...
1. Pam Ayres (How Can That Be My Baby?) why? a mothers joy, *also explained to me by a boss
2. Elaine Feinstein (Wheelchair) why? personal, *a poet married to a non-poet, finding out about their work life, after death
3. Edward Barker (Soyuz) why? a bicycle poem *about losing yourself, or a son
4. Atilla the Stock Broker (Asylum Seeking Daleks) a poem about wot? *opens the door for the delinquents, Frank Bungays, polks dot celings
5. Todd Swift (The Man who Killed Houdini) why? Houdini was tragically killed in Montreal and Todd's father also died which influences the tone of this CD. Todd is a *"shape shifter with a heart for Canada", Globe and Mail.
56 not out...